EDIT: Some background music =)
I’m a big believer in reducing, reusing and recycling everything so whenever I need to throw something out it hurts. Physically hurts for some strange reason. Then I start feeling guilty, like I’ve ruined the world for years to come. I fall asleep with images of landfills overflowing with my garbage and pieces of paper folding themselves into airplanes and attacking me as I run. Overactive imagination much? Yea I think so. But for as long as I can remember, I’ve been told: use less! Consume less! Reduce, reuse and recycle – the 3Rs! I envision my guilt level sort of like a balance in a bank – it fluctuates depending on deposits (not doing the 3Rs) and withdrawals (yay 3Rs). Wow that is such a geeky finance-y thing to say… AIESEC has worked its brainwashing on me…
Getting rid of all my furniture and random things in my apartment really meant throwing perfectly working things in the dumpster. I had postponed that moment for so long… which meant when I actually went to do it, I had massive amounts of things to throw out. So much that it didn’t all fit in the dumpster for my building. Thankfully a friend told me about this posting site called Freecycle where people can post items they want to give away for free or items people are seeking. I managed to get rid of a lot of larger items that way so I felt less guilty.
And then there was the fooood! Anyone that knows me, knows that I LOVE LOVE LOVE food and baking. I had so many half open bags of pasta, half bottles of sauces and random miscellaneous food items that really wasn’t worth carting back to Vancouver, but I did it anyways. If I didn’t I seriously wouldn’t have been able to sleep for the next few days. The thought of wasting food makes me feel even more guilty and my dreams, in addition to attacking paper airplanes, would be filled with starving people yelling at me (not really sure if that would be true, but I can see that happening…)
So now, my room is packed to the brim with randomness and things that I still need to dispose of… but NOT in the dumpster. I’m such a packrat. Must somehow downsize the amount of things I own. Reduce, reuse and recycle!
0 comments:
Post a Comment