I set a goal of visiting 25 countries before I turn 25. Currently I am sitting at 15, possibly 16 depending on your definition of “visiting.” I’m approaching 25. I have just over a year to see 10 countries. Its time I start planning and making it happen!
The countries that I have visited:
- Canada – home of course
- US – lots of cross border visits
- France – Family trip, 2003
- Hong Kong – visited twice: most recently 2005
- Cambodia – Global Ed, 2005
- Thailand – Global Ed, 2005
- Netherlands – Exchange, 2008
- Belgium – 2008
- Germany – 2008
- Austria – 2008
- Czech Republic – 2008
- Italy – 2008
- Vatican City – 2008 (does this count?)
- Ireland – 2008
- Hungary – Internship, 2011
What is number 16? Slovakia. I’ve passed through Bratislava on 2 different occasions. First time was in 2008 on a train from Vienna to Prague. The second was more recently on a 7 hour bus trip from Budapest to Prague. Seeing as I didn’t leave the train stop or bus station, I don’t really count it.
So what is next for me? Not as much of western Europe. I need to head East and South! After talking to people to get an idea for travel, here are some of my options:
- Zagreb, Croatia – Easily done for a weekend trip; approximately 7 hours by train.
- Lake Bled, Slovenia – I’ve seen amazing photos of this lake and region.
- Bratislava, Slovakia – Everyone says there is nothing to see here, but I might consider it for a weekend trip.
- Krakow, Poland – I had the opportunity to go early in my trip, but decided against it for financial reasons, but I’ll have to make it happen later.
- Transylvania, Romania – I want to see Dracula’s castle! This trip will probably be a bit longer in order to fit everything in.
- London, Britain – My bro was accepted to King’s College. I will go visit him
- Scotland – During the same trip to visit my bro, we’ll go up to Scotland for a couple days.
- Sweden – I have a friend who is completing her masters there. A visit might be in order.
- Greece? Turkey? Serbia? Bulgaria? Russia?
I’ve seen most of Western Europe with the exception of Scandinavia, Spain, Portugal, Luxembourg and Switzerland. Spain and Portugal might be difficult with language problems, but I’ve met a girl that is originally from Spain. Switzerland is ridiculously expensive. I don’t think I’ll be going there. I really wish I went to Luxembourg in 2008. It was so close to Maastricht.
There are some other regions that I want to explore in countries that I’ve already been to. Cinque Terre, Italy is one region that comes to mind. I definitely want to go to Berlin, Germany as well (in fact, I might be following my birthday this year).
So much to see in the world! I want to see it all!
0 comments:
Post a Comment