On Marriage and an Unconventional Life

Yesterday my mother asked me how I imagined my wedding to be. I've never really thought about it, to be honest. And when I told her that she seemed a little put off. But my dad seemed to get it. My mom's response was that every little girl dreams about her wedding. Yes, that may be true, but this girl dreams of food and travel, of adventure and exploration. Not just one day of her life.

When I think of my wedding day, all I see are blank, hazy bits. I can see WHO is there, but all the other details are all blurry. because I really don't know. I have vague ideas, and even have a Pinterest board for it, but that is all they are - ideas. It seems my mother, and according to her, my grandmother, already know who they want to invite. As the oldest of my generation and being a girl, the pressure is there. My mother keeps reminding me, by my age, she was already married to my father.

What I do know is that I want to play homage to my Chinese heritage, probably having two receptions, like my aunt and uncle when they got married, one Chinese and one western. But beyond that, I really have no idea what I want in a wedding. That can be something I resolve when I decide to settle down, but for now, I enjoy living the unconventional life, dreaming about the next exotic travel destination or adventure.

0 comments: