The Stupidest of Stupid

Last week I went to San Francisco to see the sights and just get out of the city for a bit. Boy was it a bad idea. From the start, there was something off. I was so exhausted from work that I didn’t have time to plan where to go, what to do or what to eat. I figured whatever, we can wing it. I did that in Europe for a lot of my trips. But for some reason, it just didn’t translate. Maybe I’m out of practice with this traveling business.

There were too many people and everywhere I went the lines were massive. And then the ultimate stupid of the trip happened. I set down my phone, and promptly forgot about it. Forgot about it for 10 minutes and of course when I went back for it, it was gone. It was a new phone – I’ve only had it for a month and four days. Not to mention it was an iPhone 4 – probably one of the hottest gadgets out there this year. Of course I’m not going to get it back.

I had a lock on it, but that can easily be removed. All that person has to do is connect it to a computer and restore the phone. I had the app “Find My Phone” installed, but hadn’t set it up yet. I changed all my passwords, and put a hold on my account. I just wish I had put my contact information between the phone and the case I had on it. Lesson learned!

I was pretty upset for a couple of days. It was a lot of money! Not to mention, I had worked and waiting for that phone.

When I think about it, two scenarios play out:

  1. The person saw it, seized the opportunity and took it for themselves or to sell.
  2. The person saw it, took it and wanted to return it, but couldn’t figure how.

While I would like to believe in the good in the world and think it was the second option, its more realistic that the first scenario happened. I was in a mall at the time and I spoke with mall security a couple of times, but nothing.

I started looking at alternative phones. There was nothing Rogers could do for me. I signed a 3 year contract for my phone. I wasn’t about to pay $750 to replace my phone from them. I considered a Blackberry, but ultimately decided it wasn’t for me. I like the touchscreen aspect of the iPhone and scroll is annoying on the Blackberry.

So it was down to an Android phone. Perfect seeing as I use Google for nearly everything. I started looking at phones on Cragislist and today, I bought a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate at a very reasonable price.

I finally have a phone again after being phoneless for 10 days. It was the weirdest thing.

Trying to figure out how to use this phone will be annoying though. Its close enough to the iPhone, but just not as intuitive.

On a slightly related note, watch this:

0 comments: