I’ve been feeling a bit emo lately, ever since Friday. I’m not sure if its because I’m getting older or if I’m just tired and stressed out.
On Friday I hosted a murder mystery dinner party and it turned out pretty well. Things started a bit late due to people arriving late and me not getting home on time to start cooking, but it all worked out in the end. Definitely a lot of fun and I think I want to try it again with a different game in the future. Everyone got dressed up and were in character for most of the evening (and even now on Facebook hah)
I don’t have anything elaborate planned for tonight. I’m thinking of cooking a yum meal, and watching all the Harry Potter movies with lots of popcorn and snacks. I’m pretty indifferent to it being my birthday. I feel a little silly for celebrating it and also at the same time, silly for not celebrating it.
I was thinking last night about the past couple of my birthdays and I don’t really remember that many elaborate celebrations. Last year I just had a dinner, both in Victoria and Vancouver. The year before that, I was in Europe, and most people didn’t even know it was my birthday and I didn’t want to advertise the fact. I did go to a halloween party though. In 2007, I think was just a dinner with friends celebrating both mine and another friend’s birthday. I got Tippy that year. In 2006, I went trick or eating and got soaked with rain. Got sick after that. And in 2005? I don’t even remember – I vaguely remember sparklers and being terrified.
Everyone says having your birthday on Halloween is super cool. There is always the standard joke that “everyone is getting dressed up to celebrate your birth” but more really its just annoying. At least its not a real holiday like Christmas. That must suck.
I’ve been so tired lately. Working 40+ hours, doing things for Womanzworld, studying and homework… I’ve picked up another volunteer position too with this non profit called Global Agents for Change as a communications coordinator. The organization is very similar to AIESEC and other activities I was involved in when I was younger. I’m pretty excited to get involved and hopefully find something to be passionate about again. I wonder if I’m spreading myself too thin, but I like being busy and I like constantly having something to do. The by-product is being tired and usually Sundays are my one day a week to sit and vegetate. And that is what I’m going to be doing today.
Spending the day with the family and my cat. Another reason I don’t really like going out on Halloween is because it is my birthday. I feel like if I go out with one group of friends, I’m choosing them over the other where in my mind everyone is equal (more or less). It may be silly and probably most people won’t even think about it, but that is what is going on in my head. So I choose my cat <3 and Harry Potter.
Bleh I need to get out of my funk.
My email is full of coupons for my birthday. Maybe I’ll go shopping… Hurray for retail therapy.
1 comments:
I highly recommend retail therapy :)
Your dinner party was awesome! I'm tempted to steal your bday theme, if only my bday wasn't during exams, and if I was industrious to plan a dinner party!
btw, my own birthday usually gets me pretty down. I don't know why, but for the past few years I've been kinda half-hearted and meh about it. Maybe too much expectation for it to be a happy time?
anyhow, sorry for the psychoanalytic pseudo-blogpost comment!
Post a Comment